Fresh sage is best in this recipe. If you have it growing in your garden, add a little of the sage flowers into the bread dough.
- 1 cup Unbleached Flour
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup fresh Sage, chopped or 2 tablespoons dried
- 1/2 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 whole Egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup Full Fat Milk
- 1/4 cup dry White Wine, such as Chardonnay
Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a different bowl, mix EVOO, egg, milk and wine. Mix well. Combine the wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix until blended but don’t overmix. Divide into 2 greased loaf pans. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, depending on your oven, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes then cool on a rack.