Today is a soup for lunch kind of day here in East Central Oklahoma. Yesterday is was 60 degrees and sunny. Today it is 30 degrees with freezing drizzles. So we need something warm when coming inside after feeding the horses and chickens. This is a keto friendly recipe that is so yummy. This recipe is an adaptation of a recipe from Dana Carpendar’s “Fat Fast Cookbook 2”. I have added some ingredients. Her section of preparing shirataki noodles is invaluable. I am doing very well on my keto diet. I restarted on New Year’s Day and am sticking to it.
- 2 cups homemade Chicken Stock or fresh cold Water
- 2 large Chicken Thighs with skin
- 1 Chicken Bouillon Cube (try to find a brand with no MSG)
- 1 cup full-fat canned Coconut Milk (don’t use the coconut milk from a carton. Too much sugar)
- ½ Tsp Garlic Powder or to taste
- 1 Tsp Curry Powder or to taste
- 2 ozs of Sugar snap Peas, cut in bite size pieces
- 2 8 0z packages of Shirataki Fettuccini Noodles (optional, leave out if you can’t find them)
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste (you can use White Pepper so you don’t have black specks in your soup)
Put the chicken stock or water in a medium pot. Bring to boil. Add the chicken thighs and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for one hour. Take the chicken out of the pot and allow to cool in bowl. Set aside. Add the next five ingredients to soup pot. Continue to simmer. When the chicken cools, shred or cut the meat. Add back into the pot. I collect the skin and bones in the freezer to make my chicken stock. I save them until I have a gallon bag full.
Prepare the noodles. The shirataki noodles come in a pouch of liquid. When you open the pouch, they will smell fishy. Open the pouches and pour into a mesh strainer in your sink. Rinse the noodles well. Place the noodles in a mircowavable bowl. Cook for 2 minutes on high. Rinse and drain. Fishy smell all gone. Put them back into the bowl. Cook another 2 minutes. Rinse and drain. Add the noodles to your soup. Enjoy. This will not last long.
Wow, this is so good! It did not last long in this house! The crust got a little too brown but is was still good.
- 2 Tbsp Butter or Coconut Oil
- 2 medium Vidalia or other Sweet Onions, thin sliced
- 8 ozs. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- ½ Tsp Sea Salt
- ½ Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Chipotle Pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a heavy skillet, sauté the onion until tender and caramelized. While the onions are cooking, spray a pie plate with no stick spray. I use coconut oil that has no propellants. Beat the eggs, cream and seasonings in a bowl. Spread the cheese in the pie plate. Add onions on top of cheese. Pour egg mixture over all. Bake for 35 minutes based on your oven temp. Remove from over and let sit for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
This another lo carb slow cooker recipe that is so easy and so good. What’s not to like? Ham and bacon!!!! Yum!
- 3 cups Ham, diced
- 1 lb Cauliflower Florets fresh or frozen
- 6 ozs. Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ¼ cup Heavy Cream or Coconut Milk
- 15 ozs. Chicken Stock, can or homemade
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 4 cloves Garlic, peeled and pressed or chopped
- 8 ozs. Cheddar Cheese, grated. I buy the block cheese and grate it myself. That way there is no added extras in my cheese.
- ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp. Onion Powder
6 Green Onions, chopped as a garnish.
Mix all ingredients in a 4 quart slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours.
This recipe is so good! I found it over at www.locarbyum.com . It is going to be a go to recipe for company breakfast! It can be made the night before. Just let the pie dish get to room temp before baking.
- 8 ozs. Asparagus, steamed
- 2 cups Baby Spinach (I used a mix of spinach and pepper greens)
- 6 Eggs, beaten
- 2 ½ cups Mozzarella Cheese, grated
- 2 tbsps. Parmesan Cheese
- 2 cloves Garlic, peeled and pressed or chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch pie dish. Set aside about ¼ cup of beaten egg. In a large bowl, combine the rest of eggs with 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and garlic. Stir in spinach. Pour into pie dish. Layer the asparagus on top of egg mixture. Pour reserved egg on top of asparagus. Sprinkle the ½ cup of grated cheese and the parmesan cheese on top. Bake for about 30 or until the edges are brown.
I found this recipe over on www.eatingwell.com . It is a great tasting vegetarian dish, but more importantly to me it is Keto friendly. I am getting back to my keto diet after the holidays. Time to get back on the weight loss wagon. I use this as a side for a main dish. You can also serve it as a snack with blue cheese dressing on the side. But watch for the carbs in the dressing if you are on a low carb diet. You can also add 4 ounces of crumbled blue cheese into the buffalo sauce which is what I do. And BTW this would be a good football game snack.
- 8 cups 1 ½ Cauliflower Florets
- 2 Tbsp melted Coconut oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- ¼ Tsp Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp Fred’s Red Hot or similar hot sauce, for a real kick use Habanero
- 2 Tbsp Sriracha Sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp melted Butter
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. I use either Pompeian coconut oil spray or Bertolli EVOO spray that have no propellants in them.
Toss the cauliflower, oil and salt in a large bowl. Then spread on the baking sheet. Set the bowl aside you’ll need it later. Roast the cauliflower until its beginning to soften and brown on the bottom, 15 to 20 minutes. Your mileage and oven temps will vary.
While the cauliflower is roasting, combine hot sauce, sriracha, butter and lemon juice in the large bowl. Add the roasted cauliflower and toss with sauce to coat. Return the cauliflower to the baking sheet and roast for another 5 to 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy.
I just bought a Kindle cookbook on Keto recipes and this was a fast and easy one. It is from Elizabeth Janes’ “Breakfast Ketogenic Cookbook: Quick and Easy for Weekdays / Brunch for Weekends”. I love buffalo wings, buffalo sliders and even buffalo cauliflower bites. This is yummy!
This recipe can feed two to four people depending on the size of the individual omelets.
- 4 ozs. Cream Cheese, softened
- 4 Tbls Blue Cheese crumbles
- 2 Tbls Hot Sauce like Sriracha (or to your taste)
- 6 Eggs, beaten
- 2-4 Tbls Butter or Coconut Oil
- Sea salt and Pepper to taste
Garnish: Sliced green onion or salsa
Heat a non-stick pan over Medium High heat. Melt enough butter or coconut oil for one omelet. Combine the cream cheese, blue cheese crumbles and the hot sauce in a bowl. In a microwave heat this mixture for about 15 seconds. Mix well until incorporated.
Pour the amount of beaten egg into the pan. You can use half for two generous sized omelets, a third for 3 or a quarter for four omelets. When the egg is set and firm spoon some of the buffalo sauce on half of the omelet. Fold the omelet over to cover the buffalo sauce. Cover and cook for another minute. Remove from the pan and keep warm in the oven while you finish the rest of the omelets.
Depending on your garnishes the carbs can be as low as 2 grams per omelet.
I have been eating low carb/ketogenic since July 1st and I feel great. I’ve lost 6 pounds. I’ll be posting more low carb recipes but I won’t forget about my comfort food recipes. This is a great make ahead for breakfast if you have company. Just be sure to let the cast iron warm to room temp before putting it into the oven. I will add a photo to this recipe sometime in the future. I didn’t get to the casserole before everyone started in on it! LOL. It was good.
- 4 slices Bacon
- 2 small Squash, Zucchini, Yellow or a combination, grated
- 8 oz Cheese, any kind you want or have on hand, (I used Pepper Jack), shredded and separated
- 12 Eggs, beaten
- Salt and Black Pepper to your taste
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut the bacon into ¼” to 1/2“ pieces and fry to crispy doneness. I use my deep cast iron skillet for this recipe. Remove from pan and set aside. Turn off the heat. Leave most of the bacon grease in the pan. Pour the beaten eggs into the skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Add the grated squash to the eggs. Stir slightly to mix. Add half of the shredded cheese. Mix slightly. Spread bacon pieces across the top of the egg mixture. Spread the remaining cheese across the top.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Depending on your oven’s cooking temperature, start checking for doneness at 30 minutes