Today in the fridge I had about 10 pounds of pickling cucumbers from our garden. I knew I had to do something with them but I didn’t want to break out all of my canning equipment. So I rummaged in my corner cabinet for an old one gallon jar from store bought pickles. This recipe is to be used for refrigerator pickles only. Don’t try to process this recipe for the boiling water canning method.
- 8 to pounds pickling Cucumbers, washed and sliced into spears
- 1 1/2 quarts Water
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Salt, Kosher or Pickling
- 2 quarts Water
- 3 tablespoons Mixed Pickling Spices
- 3 tablespoons Whole Mustard Seeds
- 5 tablespoons Dill Seeds
- 6 cloves Garlic, peeled and sliced in half
Place the cucumber spears and garlic in the gallon jar. Combine vinegar, salt, sugar, water, pickling spices and dill seeds. Bring to a boil and pour over the cucumbers and cover completely. Let sit in the fridge over night before eating. These pickles have stayed fresh in the fridge for 2 months. But they usually get eaten way before they go bad!