This dish is a twist on regular old okra. In a normal growing year I would have pounds and pounds of those pods sitting in my fridge, this year not so much. I have said several times that if we had to eat this winter from our garden produce, we’d be in big trouble. At least we can still get some frozen okra or maybe some tender pods at the store.
- 3 slices of thick cut Bacon
- 1/2 cup Sweet Onion, diced
- 1 small Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 2 cups sliced Okra
- 1/2 tablespoon Cajun Spices or Fuzz’s No Salt Cajun Blend
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon White or Black Pepper
- 1 large Tomato chopped or 1 can (8 ozs) diced canned Tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ozs) Whole Kernel Corn
Cook the bacon very crisp and crumble. Drain on a paper towel. Heat the EVOO in a large skillet and saute the onions and green pepper until tender and browned about 8 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add the okra, salt, pepper and Cajun blend and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and corn and simmer an additional 15 minutes. Garnish with bacon right before serving so it stays crisp.