As yes, another one pot meal. My cowboy husband and I are so ready for cool Fall nights! We will sit outside around the fire ring and have dinner with a nice bottle of wine. This is a great fire ring dinner. I will cook it in the house in a cast iron Dutch Oven, then put it on the fire ring grill to keep it warm while we are eating.
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine (I like merlot or cab sav)
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves Garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1/2 cup lentils (Green, Red or French)
- 2 tablespoons Paprika (Hungarian is better but regular is good)
- 2 tablespoons Tamari (Regular Soy sauce will work well also)
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock
- 2 medium Turnips, peeled and diced
- 3 Carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups Green Cabbage, shredded
- 2 Peppers, seeded and chopped ( can use Ancho, Pablano or Sweet Banana)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 cup dry Red Wine
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 tablespoon Arrowroot ( Can use corn starch just as well)
Over medium high heat and in a cast iron Dutch Oven, heat the EVOO and saute the onion in 2 tablespoons of wine. Saute until tender but not browned. Add garlic, lentils, paprika and tamari and braise for 2 minutes. Add vegetable broth and simmer for 25 minutes. Add turnips, carrots potatoes, cabbage and peppers and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the 1/2 cup of wine and bay leaf and simmer until veggies are tender, about 10 minutes.
Mix the flour and arrowroot and dissolve in 1/4 cup of warm water. Blend until smooth and add to the goulash, stirring to blend in completely. Simmer briefly to allow to thicken. Serve over egg noodles or rice.