My husband and I usually have this at home as lunch with a serving of cornbread on the side. This dish is a good candidate for emergency cooking because you just add all of the ingredients in a crock pot or cast iron Dutch oven and let them cook. At Toby Keith’s I love the Bar and Grill in Oklahoma City, they call them Cowboy Caviar. Now that’s good eatin’!
- 1 pound dried Black Eyed Peas, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Fuzz’s No Salt Cajun Blend
- 1 tablespoon Onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Smoked Ham Hock about 6 ozs. (You can use beef short ribs or beef neck bones if your family doesn’t eat pork.)
- 6 to 8 cups Water (Use enough to cover the beans with at least 2 inches of water.)
Combine everything in a crock pot. If yours has an “Auto Shift” setting use it. It will cook on high then shift down to low. Expect the peas to cook for at least 8 hours until tender. Add extra water to the pot if needed. Can be served with different types of cornbread. We use a store bought mix for our cornbread but we are going to experiment with a Mexican style cornbread and a cheddar cheese style.