This is another version of German Red Cabbage that I really like. This dish has the added taste of apples that is purely a German element.
- 1 tablespoon shortening or Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 6 cups Red Cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of Lemon Juice or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Sugar or Sugar Substitute
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- 2 medium Apples, peeled and chopped. (I like the tart type)
- 1/4 cup Red Currant Jelly
In a cast iron Dutch Oven melt shortening or heat EVOO. Add cabbage, onion, lemon juice/vinegar, salt, sugar. Mix well. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Stir occasionally. Add apples; cook 10 minutes more. Stir in jelly and cook til it melts.