While growing up, I ate large amounts of halupki, stuffed cabbage rolls in the Eastern European style. I remember my Baba, grandmother, making them from the time I could stand at the table to watch her.
- 3 pounds lean ground Beef
- 1/2 cup raw rice (or parboiled or minute rice)
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 can condensed Tomato Soup
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 head of White Cabbage, washed
- 1 can (15 oz) Tomato Sauce
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Saute onion in pan with EVOO. IN a large mixing bowl mix beef, rice, sautéed onion, tomato soup, sat and pepper. Place the head of cabbage in boiling water. Remove the cabbage leaves as they loosen from the head. When cool, fill the leaves with 1 to 2 tablespoons of beef mixture. Fold in the sides of the cabbage leaf and roll up til it looks like an egg roll. Place in a large baking dish or casserole dish with a lid. Continue until all beef mixture is rolled in cabbage. Cover with tomato sauce. Cook in covered dish for 1 hour 15 minutes.