For a change from meat based stews, this is a great option. But I love the meaty ones!!
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 2 small Leeks, washed well and use only white and pale green parts
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- 8 ozs of White Mushrooms or Baby Portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1 can (15 ozs) diced Tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup Pearl Barley
- 4 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth or Home made
- 1 bunch Kale, destemmed and coarse chopped
Over medium heat in a large pot heat the EVOO and add leeks. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until leeks are tender about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic and saute until mushrooms begin to brown stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and juice, barley and broth. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer about 20 minutes. The barley should be almost tender. Add kale and more broth or water to keep a stew consistency. Don’t let it dry out. Simmer for 10 minutes.