This soup is one of my very first recipes I collected in the early 1980’s. I started using Neufchatel Cheese instead of regular cream cheese that was used, but it’s still great comfort food.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted Butter
- 1 large clove Garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1 large Onion, coarse chopped
- 2 cups Potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large Carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2 cups low sodium Chicken Broth or Home made
- 1 cup Skim Milk (or regular if desired)
- 4 ozs Neufchatel Cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried Dill Weed
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Cayenne Pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated yellow Smoked Cheddar
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh Parsley or Chives to garnish
Over medium heat, melt butter and saute garlic and onion until lightly browned in a medium size soup pot about 5 to 7 minutes. Add potatoes, carrots and chicken broth. Cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes until vegetables are tender. Stir in milk and spices. Simmer for 5 minutes. Pour in a blender or food processor and puree. Return to soup to pot and add cheese. Allow cheese to melt and serve. Garnish with parsley or chives.