I love these spicy cheese straws as a snack, as breakfast whenever. I’m not very big on sweet snacks so this is prefect for me. I hope for you too.
- 1 block (10 ozs) sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded. I recommend buying a block and shredding it at home. I have tried this recipe with already shredded cheese and the dough became so dry, I have to add alot more 1/2 & 1/2.
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, cut into 4 pieces and softened
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 tablespoons 1/2 & 1/2
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Put first 5 ingredients into a food processor with a blade and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 1/2 & 1/2 and process until dough forms a ball. About 10 seconds.
Turn out the dough on a well floured surface. Divide dough in half. Roll out the dough until about 1/8 inch thick. Cut dough into 3 /4 wide strips with a sharp knife or a fluted pastry wheel. Put the strips on top of parchment paper on cookies sheets. It is important to use the parchment paper so the cheese straws do not stick. Roll out second half of dough and cut into strips. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until edges are well browned. Cool on wire racks.