In the south black-eyed peas are traditionally eaten on New Year’s Day for luck in the coming year. But this is good enough to have anytime. With little cooking involved, it is a good meal anytime a winter storm makes life interesting.
- 1 cup Onion Chopped
- 1 Sweet Red Pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Sweet Yellow Pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Sweet Banana Pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup cooked Ham, diced
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 2 cans (15 ozs each) Black Eyed Peas
- 1 teaspoon Hot Sauce
- 3 cups cooked White or Brown Rice
- Salsa and Sour Cream optional as garnish
In a large skillet, cook onion, peppers, and ham in EVOO about 4 minutes. Drain the peas but keeping 1/2 cup of the liquid. Add peas, liquid and hot sauce to the skillet. Mix and heat til peas are warm. Serve over rice and garnish with salsa and sour cream if desired.