Putting a smoked ham hock in this soup gives it a nice campfire feel. You can also use slices of cooked ham diced up or even just a ham bone. Any version is tasty and filling. And it freezes great so you can freeze individual or family sized portions.
- 1 bag (16 ozs) dried Split Peas
- 1 1/2 cups of diced cooked ham, smoked ham hock or ham bone
- 1/2 cup Carrots, diced
- 2 large Potatoes, (peeled or unpeeled) cubed
- 6 cups Water
- 1 can (16 oz) Vegetable Broth or homemade veg broth
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
Rinse and clean peas looking for small stones or dirt. Put peas and water in large pot, bring to a boil for 2 minutes and then cover and remove from heat and let stand for 20 minutes. Combine all remaining ingredients, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
Remove the ham bone and shred meat from bone. Discard bone or give to doggies as a treat.