This recipe is from the Jackie Clay’s Pantry Cookbook that is listed on my favorite books page. It is full of recipes on how to cook from stored, canned and preserved foods. It is published by Backwoods Home Magazine. This and Jackie’s Canning book are both available at their website www.backwoodshome.com .
- 2 cups dried Pinto Beans or 2 pints home canned Pinto Beans
- 8 cups Water (omit if you are using canned beans)
- 1/2 pound Salt Pork, cut in pieces
- 2 Onions, finely diced
- 1 Green Pepper, finely diced
- 1 can (17-18 ozs) Tomatoes
- 1 clove Garlic, finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili Powder
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
Clean beans. Place in a large kettle with the water. Simmer for 2 hours. (If using canned beans omit this step.) Drain. Add remaining ingredients. Boil slowly for 2 hours. (30 Minutes for canned beans) or until beans are tender, adding more water if necessary.