This soup is packed with flavor. It is a very good soup for anyone who is recuperating from a sickness or just as healthy soup. As anyone who has used one of my posted recipes knows, you should always wash and peel as appropriate. I hate to re-state the blindingly obvious. 😉
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 3 large Carrots, shredded
- 1 large sweet Onion, diced
- 2 ribs Celery, sliced
- 8 ozs Mushrooms of your choice, chopped, white button, baby portabella or others
- 2 Chicken Breasts, cut into 1/2″ cubes (If you want, you can use the skin as flavor in the soup)
- 2 cups Water
- 1 quart Chicken Broth, homemade or low sodium
- 16 ozs fresh Spinach or 10 ozs frozen and drained
- 1 tablespoon dried Parsley
- 1 1/2 cups cooked Brown Rice
- Sea Salt and Black or Red Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400F.
In a nonstick cookie pan, place the carrot, celery and mushrooms. Season to taste with sea salt and black or red pepper. Roast in oven for 15 minutes. In a medium stockpot, heat the EVOO over medium high heat. Add onions and saute for 4 minutes.
Remove the vegetables from the oven and place in stockpot. Saute for about 4 minutes. Add chicken cubes and saute until browned about 5 minutes. Add broth and water. Ad the chicken skin if you are using it to flavor the soup. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer cook about 5 minutes. Add spinach, parsley and rice. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove chicken skin. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with crusty bread.