During the past week, we went to several meetings for the OK Cattleman’s Association. The most recent one was at the Fisher Ranch. Nice Cattle, even nicer horses! At most events here in OK, one of the sides is almost always baked beans. This is a quick cook version that I love. I have it listed under emergency cooking because beans are packed with protein and most ingredients are available in an emergency situation.
- 1 can (15 ozs) Kidney Beans, drained
- 1 can (15 ozs) Pork and Beans
- 8 Slices of thick cut Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Combine all ingredients and only 1/2 cup cheese in a mixing bowl. Season to taste. Fold into a lightly oiled baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes. Garnish with remaining 1/2 cheese and bake covered with aluminum foil for 15 minutes. Can garnish with parsley…… but really? Do you need to? LOL!!