- 8 quarts Green Tomatoes
- 1 medium Green Cabbage
- 2 Green Bell Peppers, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons Mustard Seed
- 1 tablespoon Whole Cloves
- 6 medium Onions, chopped fine
- 8 cups Sugar (It seems like alot but won’t taste sweet)
- 2 tablespoons Coriander Seeds
- 1 cup Pickling Salt
- 3 Red Bell Peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons Celery Seeds
- 1 stick Cinnamon
- 3 quarts White Vinegar
Chop the tomatoes by hand or in food processor to a medium chop. Put in a large bowl and add salt. Let stand overnight. The salt will draw out the liquid from the tomatoes. The Next day drain and rinse well. Boil the tomatoes and the vinegar for 35 minutes. Add onions, peppers,and all seeds. Tie the seeds in cheese cloth or a muslin bag. You don’t want the seeds in the finished chow-chow. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until the onions are tender. Remove bag of seeds and discard.
Pour into sterilized jars. Leave 1/2 inch head space. Clean rims. Adjust the heated lids and tighten the rims to finger tip tight. Process in a boiling hot water bath for 15 minutes. Remove from water and allow to sit undisturbed for 12 hours. Jars should be sealed.