This really is region specific dish. I mean, someone says Clam Chowder, you think Boston and New England. Slaw dog you think Chicago. Tortilla Soup is South west.
- 8 cups low sodium Chicken stock or Home made
- 4 Green Onions, minced
- 2 large Tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 6 Corn Tortillas, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 dried Ancho Chili Peppers, sliced
- 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, cubed
- 6 tablespoons Crema (Mexican Table Cream) or Sour Cream
- Fresh Cilantro Sprigs
In a large soup pot bring the broth to a simmer over medium heat. Add the green onions and tomatoes. In a skillet heat some EVOO and saute the tortilla strips. Drain and place on paper towels. Fry the chili slices in the same skillet for about 30 seconds. Place on paper towel to drain. Divide the cheese and the tortilla strips into 6 bowls. Ladle the soup broth into the bowls. Place a tablespoon of Crema or Sour Cream in each bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.