This is a recipe I found in the Williamsberg Cookbook. It is from Christiana Campbell’s Tavern. Soooo good at Thanksgiving and the holidays. I’m hoping that my harvest of sweet potatoes is as good as last year, but with the extreme heat and drought that we have experienced, I’m not holding my breath!
- 2/3 cup Sweet Potatoes, canned or fresh cooked, well-drained
- 4 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 whole Egg
- 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt or Kosher
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Milk, whole, reduced or skim
- 4 tablespoons Pecans, English Walnuts or Black Walnuts, chopped
- 4 tablespoons Raisins, chopped
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Grease muffin tins that are at least 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Puree the sweet potatoes in a blender, stand mixer or with a stick blender. Cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg and pureed sweet potatoes. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Alternately Aadd the dry ingredients, milk and the nuts and raisins. Mix until just blended. Don’t overmix.
Spoon into the greased muffin tins, filling each completely full. A little sugar or cinnamon can be sprinkled on top if desired. Bake for 25 minutes.