On a cold late Autumn day this stew really hits the spot. It is equally good, possibly even better tasting with bison stew meat. Makes about 4 servings.
- 1 1/2 cups Onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds lean Beef chuck or Bison, cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 cups Water
- 1 cup Apple Juice
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 large Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup Prunes, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour or Wondra
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger, powdered
- 3 tablespoons fresh Parsley, chopped
In a Dutch Oven saute onions in EVOO over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium high and add meat. Stir until browned about 10 minutes. Add water, juice, salt pepper and bay leaf. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until meat is tender.
Add carrots and simmer another 15 minutes. Add prunes and simmer 10 minutes more.
In a small bowl mix flour, vinegar and ginger. Mix until smooth and gradually stir into the meat stew. Simmer for 10 minutes. Just before serving stir in parsley.