Great tasting stew that is packed with fiber. I’ll bet by now you are definitely seeing a trend in my cooking. Yup, I do love soups and stews. They have that hearty and tummy warming feeling to them that takes me back to my mom’s kitchen.
- 3 cups Water
- 1 cup Lentils (red, green or French)
- 1/2 cup Barley
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 3 springs fresh Thyme
- 3 cans (16 oz) low sodium Chicken Broth or home-made broth
- 4 Romano Tomatoes, diced
- 1 can (16 oz) Navy Beans
- 1 can (16 oz) Dark or Light Red Kidney Beans
- 3 cups fresh Spinach
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- Louisiana Style Hot sauce to taste
In a medium size pot heat water, lentils and barley to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is mostly reduced and lentil/barley mix is al dente.
Heat EVOO over medium heat in a cast iron pot. Add garlic, onion, thyme and parsley. Saute until tender but not browned. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, lentil/barley mix and cook about 10 minutes until barley in tender but not mushy. Add remaining ingredients and cook til the spinach is wilted. Season to taste with salt, pepper and hot sauce.