In the fall I always try to can apple butter, unfortunately, I could not do that this year. But I still have some jars from last fall sitting in cupboard just waiting to be used. If you don’t have apple butter, you can substitute apple sauce but the muffins will have a less intense spice.
- 1 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt or Kosher
- 2 large Eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 stick and 3 tablespoons melted Butter, unsalted
- 1 cup Apple Butter
- 1 cup chopped Nuts, your choice (I use our own Black Walnuts)
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Mix together the first 7 dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together eggs and brown sugar until well mixed. Add in apple butter. In a steady stream add melted butter and whisk until well combined and creamy. Add egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir until blended. Add nuts. Stir until mixed. Evenly divide the batter into muffin tins, using non-stick or muffin papers. Bake about 20 minutes until golden. Cool and garnish with your choice of frosting. I love cream cheese frosting with these.