Yes another Martha Stewart inspired recipe that is always present at my Thanksgiving table.
- 3 quarts Water
- 1/2 cup Salt
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon whole Pepper Corns (I use a mix of green, white, red & black)
- 1 teaspoon whole Mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon Fennel Seeds (Adds a licorice taste)
- 1 Turkey (take out the giblets and set aside) This brine can be used for a 10 pound bird
- 1 bottle Chardonnay Wine (or more if you like)
- 1 medium Onion sliced
- 3 Garlic cloves crushed
- 1 bouquet garni made of 2 sprigs fresh thyme, 2 sprigs fresh Rosemary and 2 sprigs fresh sage
Bring 1 quart of water to a boil. Reduce to simmer and add salt bay leaves and bouquet garni. Stir until salt is dissolved. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
Use an ex- large stock pot and line with a large plastic bag if desired. Place the turkey or turkey breast in the bag and cover with the 1 quart salt water mix. Add remaining water, wine, garlic, and onion. Place the pot into the fridge and chill. Turn turkey at least once. Most recipes says brine a bird for 24 hours, I have brined a turkey for 2 days and loved the final taste!