The fresh high notes of the lime and cilantro are excellent in this soup. You can use either dried beans or a can (16 ozs) of black beans in this soup. I prefer using the dried, soaked beans.
- 16 ozs dried Black Beans
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 2 medium Red Onions, chopped
- 4 Jalapeno Peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh Ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 cloves Garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 8 cups Water
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes, peeled nad cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Sea Salt
- 1 bunch Green Onions, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh Cilantro, chopped
In a large saucepan heat beans in enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes and take off heat. Let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse. In a large saucepot, heat the oil and saute onions until tender about 10 minutes. Add jalapeno, ginger, garlic and thyme. Cook about 3 minutes. Add beans and water to the pot. Heat to boiling and reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add the sweet potatoes, brown sugar and salt. cook for an additional 30 minutes. Take 1 cup of the bean soup and puree in a blender or use an immersion blender. Add back to the saucepot as a thickener. Just before serving serve in the green onions and cilantro.