The old saying is that Scottish cooking was based on a dare, (think Haggis , which I love!) I believe English cooking has some translation difficulties when going from Olde Englishe to modern English. Toad in a Hole, I mean, really??? I guess you can call it a cheesy fritatta. It is tasty. It has a long prep time so if you like Breakfast for Dinner on a weekend this is wonderful.
- 3/4 cup Whole Milk
- 2 whole Eggs plus 1 Egg White
- 2 teaspoons Brown Spicy Mustard
- 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour or Wondra
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt and more to taste
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound mild Breakfast Sausages (Pork, Chicken, Turkey or Tofu)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and sliced 1/2 inch strips
- 4 ozs Spinach, can be destemmed but that is where good fiber is
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere Cheese or any creamy type cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh Chives, chopped
In a mixing bowl blend well milk, eggs, egg white, and mustard, about 1 minute. Add flour and 1 tablespoon salt and blend for about 1 minute. Place batter in the fridge for 2 hours to chill.
Preheat oven to 425 F.
In a large cast iron skillet, heat 1 teaspoon EVOO add sausages and red peppers. Cook until sausages well browned and peppers are tender about 8 minutes. Remove meat and peppers to a plate. Drain any grease and wipe out the skillet. In same skillet warm 1 tablespoon EVOO and add spinach, salt and black pepper. Saute about 2 minutes. Remove the spinach to the plate with meat and red peppers. Put 2 tablespoons of EVOO in the same skillet nad put in heated oven for 15 minutes.
Remove batter from fridge and add the grated cheese to the chilled batter. Remove warmed skillet from the oven and place the sausage/red pepper mix along with the spinach in the skillet. Pour the cheese batter into the skillet. Bake for 25 minutes. Garnish with Chives.