Now I am what you call a meat and potatoes girl but once a week we do a full day of vegetables. We usually try to do it on Mondays because many weekends we grill both Saturday and Sunday. This dish is really good for a vegetarian dinner.
- Olive Oil Non-stick Cooking Spray
- 3 packages (10 ozs) frozen chopped Spinach, thawed
- 1 cup Onion, chopped
- 5 ozs Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 12 ozs Evaporated Skim Milk
- 5 large Egg Whites
- 1/4 cup Water
- 3 tablespoons All Purpose Flour or Wondra
- 1 tablespoon Cornmeal
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Dash of Paprika
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Coat a 9 inch square baking dish with the cooking spray. Strain excess liquid out of the spinach and spread it evenly in the baking dish. Sprinkle the onions evenly on top of the spinach. Layer the Jack cheese on top of the onions. Using a food processor with a blade, a blender or a stand mixer blend the milk, egg whites, water, flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Blend until smooth. Pour the milk mixture over the spinach mix in the baking dish. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top. Sprinkle the paprika on top. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the top is puffed and brown. Remove from oven and it cool 15 minutes before slicing and serving.