Don’t worry aioli (a-oh-lee) is just a different name for mayonnaise. This is wonderful on burgers or hot dogs. It can also used a dipping sauce.
- 4 cloves of Garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 large Egg Yolk at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
Heat the EVOO and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat until the garlic just starts to brown about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside for 20 minutes. Strain out the garlic solids and discard. Cool the oil completely. If the oil isn’t cooled enough the aioli will break and you’ll get scrambled egg.
In a large bowl whisk egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard and salt together. While whisking add in the garlic oil in a very thin stream until all oil is gone. Serve immediately or keep in fridge for up to 3 days.