This is a great tasting and quick cooking soup you can make for a work day dinner. Easily made into a vegetarian dish by using vegetable broth and substituting smoked Tofu or TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) for the kielbasa.
- 6 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth or Home made
- 2 pounds of New Red Potatoes, peeled and cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 tablespoons unsalted Butter
- 1 pound Polish Kielbasa, sliced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 large Leeks, cleaned well and sliced thin
- 1 clove Garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1/2 bunch of Kale, destemmed and leaves cut in thin slices
- Pepper to taste
Over medium high heat bring the broth to a boil in a large soup pot. Add potatoes and bay leaf. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. When tender, remove bay leaf and discard. Using a potato masher rough mash the potatoes in the broth but leave some large pieces. Set pot aside.
Melt butter in a large skillet and saute kielbasa for about 4 minutes until it is nicely browned. Add leeks and garlic and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until leeks are tender and translucent. Add kielbasa mixture to the soup pot. Add the kale and simmer or medium heat until kale is tender about 5 minutes. Season to taste with pepper.