I grew up on buttered cabbage and noodles. My Eastern European family called this dish Haluski.
- 6 tablespoons Butter
- 1 pound Green Cabbage, chopped
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 cups Half & Half or Whole Milk
- 1 tablespoon All Purpose Flour or Wondra
- 1 package (12 ozs) Egg Noodles (cooked according to the package directions)
- 4 ozs Jarlsberg Cheese or Gruyère Cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked Bacon
- Fresh Parsley, destemmed.
In a cast iron Dutch Oven melt the butter or medium heat. Add the cabbage, onion, salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are crisp tender. Combine the half & half with the flour. Add to the vegetables and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and stir in noodles and cheese. Mix well. Place in serving dish and sprinkle with bacon and parsley. Serve immediately.