Basil is one of my favorite herbs. It needs almost no attention. To keep new leaves sprouting be certain to snip off the seed heads that form. Otherwise the energy of the plant will go to make seeds rather than pushing new leaves.
This pesto is excellent on crusty Italian Bread, tossed with pasta or as a garnish on vegetable soups. If you plan to freeze it though, leave out the cheese and add in when you thaw it.
- 1 cup fresh Basil leaves, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup fresh Parsley, destemmed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano Cheese
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts
- 1 large clove Garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
In a blender or food processor with a blade, combine basil, parsley,cheese, nuts, garlic and salt. Blitz until a paste forms. Scrap the sides of the bowl or blender with mix again. Add EVOO gradually to the consistency of creamy butter.