This hearty dish is a vegetarian version of Beef Bourguignonne and just as tasty.
- 1 large Sweet Onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 large Carrot, cut in rounds
- 1 large Potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup Water
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 1/2 cup dry Red Wine
- 4 cups cooked or canned Pinto Beans
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 8 oz White Mushrooms, sliced
In a medium size soup pot, heat 1 tablespoon of butter and saute onion for about 5 minutes. Add carrots and potatoes. Stir in water, tomato paste, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes and carrots are tender about 15 minutes. Add more water if needed to keep vegetables covered.
Add wine, beans, garlic, and salt. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves and discard. In a medium saute pan, saute the mushrooms over low heat with the remaining butter. Combine the mushrooms in the bean mixture and serve with crusty bread with butter.