Here is another great bean recipe that can be used as meal or a side. The joke around our house is that some days we have beans and rice and other days we have rice and beans!
- 1 pound dried Pinto Beans
- 10 quarts cold Water
- 6 slices of Bacon, cut up
- 1 whole Red Cayenne Pepper
- 1 medium Onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves of Garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 can (6 ozs) Tomato Paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Red Chili Powder (add more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried Marjoram
Rinse beans and pick out any stones or twigs. In a large bowl, mix water and beans. Cover and let soak overnight. In the morning put the beans and water into a cast iron Dutch Oven and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
Stir in the remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for 3 hours until tender. Add more water if the mix looks too thick. Serve with cornbread. Approximately 8 servings if used as side dish.