This is a combination of 2 different soup recipes which I thought would be pretty good together. I think it has a great taste, but it is not the prettiest soup to look at. The mushrooms tone down the bright green of the asparagus. I think it works.
- 3 tablespoons un salted butter
- 1 bunch of Asparagus, peeled if needed
- 1 medium Sweet Onion, chopped
- 1 pound fresh Mushroom of your choice, chopped coarse
- 1/2 cup dry White Wine or Sherry
- 2 slices of Sour Dough bread, crumbled
- 4 cups Chicken stock, store bought or home-made
- 1 1/4 teaspoon fresh Ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 can (14 ozs) Whole Coconut Milk
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Slice the asparagus spears into 1 inch pieces. Reserve the tips to garnish the bowls when serving. Warm butter in a large stock or soup pot over medium heat. Add asparagus pieces, onions, mushrooms and ginger. Saute for 10 minutes until tender. Do not allow to brown. Add wine/sherry,bread, chicken stock. Bring to a boil over medium high and then reduce to a simmer. Stir in coconut milk and simmer for 15 minutes. Puree soup with a handheld stick mixer or allow soup to cool and puree in blender. Warm soup again, season to taste. Garnish with asparagus tips and serve.