I previously posted a split pea that had ham as one of the ingredients. Here is a vegetarian version of that filling soup that lets the flavor of the peas shine through.
- 1 pound Green or Yellow Peas
- 6 cups low sodium Vegetable Broth or homemade
- 2 tablespoons unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Whole Clove
- 1 medium Sweet Onion small chopped
- 1 rib of Celery with the leaves
- 1 clove Garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1 Carrot, shredded
- 1 Potato, unpeeled and diced
Rinse the peas and check for small stones. Place the peas and the vegetable stock in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 1 hour. Then place remaining ingredients in with the peas in the large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to keep a simmer. Cover and cook for 2 1/2 hours. Stirring occasionally. The peas and the vegetables should be very soft and will fall apart. The thick part of the soup will settle to the bottom of the pot. Stir this before serving. You can garnish with Parmesan Cheese.