This recipe can also be called cleaning out the fridge for a Sunday Supper. I used whatever I had fresh veggies I had left in the fridge. I believe chicken makes a great base for anything as how could I go wrong?
- 2 bone-in, skin on Chicken Breasts
- 1 box (32 0zs) Low Sodium Chicken Stock or Home-made
- 4 cups Water
- 1 large Red or Sweet Onion, sliced
- 8 tender pods of Okra, sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh Green Beans, trimmed and snapped into 2 inch pieces
- 2 crowns of Broccoli, divided into bite size florets
- 2 whole Bay Leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh Rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh Sage
- Handful of Baby Arugula
- 3 leaves of Green Leaf Lettuce, thin sliced (Oh yes, wilted lettuce is great in soup!)
In a large soup pot, mix the broth and water. Bring to boil. Add 2 chicken breasts and reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes. Remove chicken breasts to a plate and allow to cool. Place the reaming ingredients except the arugula and lettuce. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove the meat from the bones, shred and return to the soup pot. Discard the skin or do as I do. I give my dogs a treat for their dinner. I freeze the bones and when I have enough, I make home-made Chicken broth.
Add the arugula and lettuce and simmer for about 5 minutes to wilt the lettuce. Garnish with parley and serve. This is a surprising filling soup.