I-40 runs east to west right across the middle of our state, while it is good to getting from point A to point B fast, you do miss some of the best scenic areas. And you miss those Mom & Pop diners where you can get some good down home comfort food. I’m sure you can find a soup like this at one of them. This is one of my brother’s recipes. He does good soups!
- 4 large Russett Baking Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 medium Red Onion, medium chopped
- 1/2 cup Green Bell Pepper, seeded and small chopped
- 1 can (15 ozs) Low Sodium Chicken broth or Home made
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup Frozen Green Peas
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- Sea Salt or Kosher Salt to taste
- 4 slices of American Cheese (or the equivalent of any type of cheese)
- Optional Garnishes: Crumbled Bacon, Sliced Green Onions, Shredded Cheese
Bake potatoes until cooked and tender. Scoop out the potato and mash. Set aside. Melt butter in a medium soup pot over medium heat and saute onion and green pepper until tender about 5 minutes. Stir in the broth and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat and stir milk, mashed potatoes, peas, pepper and salt. Simmer the soup about 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Add the cheese and cook until it melts, about 2 minutes. If the soup becomes too thick add a bit more milk. Ladle into bowls, garnish and serve with warm bread.