I like savory dishes but every once in a while I get a craving for something sweet. But even then I include spices in it. I guess it’s like my personality! And it’s my husband’s favorite cake……so far! 🙂
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup packed Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie or Spice Cake Spices (If you don’t have the premixed spices use a combination of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, powdered Ginger and Allspice)
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil
- 1/2 cup Apple Juice
- 1 can (15 ozs) Pumpkin (don’t use the Pumpkin Pie mix) or you can use fresh cooked mashed Pumpkin
- 2 Whole Eggs, beaten
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 stick salted Butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ozs) Cream Cheese or Neufchatel Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Confectioner’s Sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Milk or Half & Half
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Beat to mix until smooth. Add more milk if needed to get a nice spreadable consistency. Set aside until pumpkin squares are baked and cooled.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 15x10x1 pan with shortening or non stick cooking spray. Lightly dust with flour. In the large bowl of a stand mixer combine ingredients of the pumpkin squares and beat on low speed until blended and moistened. Then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Turn out the batter into the greased and floured pan.
Bake 20 to 30 minutes depending on your oven. Check with a toothpick. When it comes out clean from the center the squares are done. Cool on the countertop for about 1 hour.
Spread the frosting over the cooled bars and chill in fridge for 30 minutes. When the frosting is set cut into squares.