Almost any soup is a good candidate for cast iron cooking and emergency cooking. This soup uses some fresh veggies but you can easily substitute with dried veggies. The canned veggies are convenient in an emergency situation. This soup has a really nice Southwestern flavor in either version.
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 cup Carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup Celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup Onion, chopped
- 2 cans (10 oz each) diced Mexican Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 3 cans (15 ozs each) Black Beans, undrained
- 1 can (11 ozs) Mexican Style Corn
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Coriander
- 1/4 cup fresh Cilantro, destemmed and chopped
- Sea Salt and pepper to taste
Heat EVOO over medium high heat in a cast iron Dutch Oven, saute carrots, celery and onions about 15 minutes until tender. Add remaining ingredients except the cilantro. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes. Adjust seasonings to your taste and stir in cilantro. Serve warm.