I found the basic recipe for this soup on a can of butter beans but added some special extras of my own. This is excellent for freezing so don’t worry if you are cooking for only one or two people. I think you’ll like this enough to make a double batch!
- 1 1/2 cups Celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup Carrots, grated
- 1 cup Onions, finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, pressed
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons All Purpose Flour or Wondra
- 2 cups Chicken Stock (Homemade or store bought low sodium)
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cans (16 oz) Butter Beans, drained
- 1 can (14 oz) diced Tomatoes (For a bit more heat try tomatoes with chiles)
- 1 cup, sliced tender Okra
- 1 teaspoon Basil
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
In a large pot, cook celery, carrots, onions and garlic in EVOO until soft. Stir in flour and cook for about one minute. Stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn. Add chicken stock and water stirring until smooth and blended in. Add tomatoes, okra, basil, italian seasoning. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes uncovered until slightly thickened. Add sea salt and pepper to taste and serve.