Right now I am having a bumper crop of Swiss chard. Since this is the first year that I have grown it, I was lacking recipes. Now that I have tried it, I don’t know why I never planted it before. In my quest for recipes, I found this in Gordon Ramsey’s book, “Healthy Appetite”. I tried last night and we both really liked it. I hope you too!
- Splash of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 2 or 3 Cloves Garlic, peeled and pressed
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 large bunch of Swiss chard, I used Rainbow Chard that has multi-colored stems
- Splash of Water
- Splash of fresh Lemon Juice if desired
Heat some EVOO in a large saute pan. Saute the garlic in the pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Rinse the chard. Cut the stems from the leaves and thinly slice. Rough chop the leaves. Add the chard stems to pan with garlic and add a splash of water. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes. When the stems are tender, add the leaves and cook an additional 3 minutes until leaves are wilted and tender. Just before serving add a splash of lemon juice if desired. It adds a bit of citrus to the chard.