I have had 2 packages of Beef Chorizo sausage in my freezer for about 10 months. I was hesitant to use it because I cooked some pork Chorizo and really didn’t like it. Well, a couple of days ago Mike, my husband, was hungry for Red Beans and Rice. He usually uses hot pork sausage, ground beef and smoked Polish sausage in his recipe. unfortunately, I only had one ingredient in my freezer, ground beef and venison. So he improvised. And we think it was even better than his original.
- 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound ground Beef, Bison, or Venison
- 2 packages (10 ozs each) Beef Chorizo Sausage
- 1 tablespoon Cajun style seasoning (Check out my recipe for Fuzz’s No Salt Cajun Blend)
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- 3 cups cooked Rice, White or Brown
- 4 cans (15 ozs each) Dark Red Kidney Beans, undrained
Heat the EVOO in a medium size soup pot. Don’t use too much EVOO because the Chorizo sausage tends to be oily and it will release enough oil to brown the ground meat even if you are using lean beef, bison or venison. Add chorizo sausage to the EVOO, heat through and add the ground meat. Brown meat. Add the seasonings. Add the kidney beans. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes. I serve the rice separate so each person can add as much or as little rice as they want. Ladle the meat-bean mixture over the rice. Can be served with cornbread.