I like to make my own condiments so I can control the sugar content. But I admit that sometimes I don’t want to babysit a pot on the stove. This recipe is a compromise. Viola! Tomato sauce in a slowcooker.
- 4 cups peeled, seeded and finely chopped Tomatoes
- 1 medium Sweet Onion, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried Basil
- 1 can (6 ozs) Tomato Paste
- 3 cloves Garlic, peeled and pressed
- Salt and pepper to taste
Bring water to a boil in a medium soup pot. Plunge the tomatoes in the boiling water for 20 seconds. Then plunge them into ice cold water. This will allow the skins to be striped off very easily.
Combine all ingredients in a lightly oiled crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 10 hours. If a thicker sauce is desired, remove lid and cook on High until you have the consistency desired. This makes about 5 cups.