Soups and stews were favorites of me and my mom on that 1997 trip to Ireland. At another little lunch place we had some of the best potato and leek soup I ever had. This is not that same recipe but it’s pretty darn close.
- 2 Whole Bay Leaves
- 5 Sprigs fresh Thyme
- 4 Springs fresh Parsley
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgon Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted Butter
- 3 Ribs Celery, chopped
- 6 Leeks, white and pale green parts only. Wash leeks well.
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, peeled and pressed
- 2 1/2 pounds Potatoes, large diced. Yukon Gold make a very creamy soup.
- 8 cups low-sodium or Home-made Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup Half & Half
- Sea Salt and White Pepper to taste
Heat EVOO and butter in medium stock pot. Add celery, leeks, onion and garlic. Cook on meduim-low heat for about 30 minutes until very soft but not browned. Add potatoes, broth and herbs and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer the soup mix for about 40 minutes until potatoes are tender.
Remove the herbs and discard. Using a food processor or an immersion stick blender puree the soup mix until only small chunks remain. Reheat the soup if needed and stir in milk and half & half. Serve with crusty Irish Soda Bread and creamy butter.