Bottom line up front— I did find this recipe in a recent Grit Magazine. I wish I could claim it as my own but I don’t roll that way. What is better than bacon? Bacon and blue cheese combined! LOL!! Anyway, these scones are cooling on my stove top right now. And the house smells great! I think you’ll enjoy these.
- 4 Strip Bacon cooked crisp, drained and crumbled into small bits
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour, I use unbleached
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sugar or Substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 stick cold Unsalted Butter cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Crumbled Blue Cheese
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 whole Egg, lightly beaten for glaze
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Spray nonstick spray, lightly butter or use a piece of parchment baking paper on a cookie sheet.
Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a food processor. Pulse to mix. Scatter butter pieces over the flour mixture. Pulse to mix. Add bacon and blue cheese crumbles. Pulse again. Pour the cream over the mix and pulse 2 or 3 times until the mixture forms large crumbles. Dump crumbles out onto a lightly floured surface. Pack the crumbles together and pat into a large ball. Flatten out into a 8 inch diameter circle. CUt dough into 8 even wedges. Then place onto the cookie sheet. Brush the wedges with the beaten egg. Bake for 18 minutes until golden brown. Your oven temps may vary. Watch the color. My oven did just fine at 17 minutes. Remove and cool on a rack.