This dish is really nice when served with burgers or hot dogs in place of regular coleslaw. It has a wonderful sweet and sour taste.
- 1 1/2 pound fresh Red Beets, washed, trimmed and peeled
- 2 whole Cloves
- 2 whole Allspice
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar or Sugar Substitute
- 2 teaspoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Flat Leaf Italian Parsley, chopped
- 1 large Red Onion, thin sliced
Place the whole beets in a saucepan and cover with water. Add cloves, allspice, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove beets to a large mixing bowl and allow them to cool. Discard cooking liquid and spices. When the beets are cool add salt, pepper, sugar, vinegar, parsley and onion. Toss gently. Serve at room temp or chill slightly.