I found this recipe on Paula Deens website. Paula used whole fresh tomatoes in her version. I added the panko bread crumbs and the smoked cheese.
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 2 cups uncooked Elbow Macaroni, Wheat or Brown Rice
- 2 tablespoon Onion, minced
- 4 tablespoons All Purpose Flour or Wondra
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 3/4 tablespoon dry Mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Smoked Gouda type Cheese
- 1 can (15 ozs) Diced Tomatoes
- 2 cups Panko Breadcrumbs
- Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a 13x9x2 baking dish.
Bring 6 cups of water to boil over high heat. Add macaroni and cook until al dente. Drain and set aside.
Melt the butter and saute onion until tender over medium heat. Don’t brown the onions. Add flour, salt, dry mustard and paprika. Mix well. Stir in the milk and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the cheddar cheese and mix well. Place the mac and cheese mix the baking dish. Cover the mix with the tomatoes. Cover tomatoes with the smoked cheese. Cover the cheese with the panko breadcrumbs. Bake for 40 minutes. Serve hot.